Sunday, June 26, 2011

Obligatory Sappy Post - Dave Powell

Cheryl Sneddon hosted a cook out yesterday. I unfortunately was late enough to miss some folks. I'm terribly sorry about that. When I got there I saw a nice mix of folks. There were old timers and newer folks, local folks and former locals passing through town, fan club folks and con only folks. This lovely rainbow included Robert Aswin, Chris Blair, Carl and Erica Stark, Brad and Tamara Hawks, Charles Galaway, Cheryl the host, and from Spokane were Randy and Char MacKay.

Amidst this lovely mix of people was a little shrine to Dave Powell; a picture of him dressed as Isaac Asimov leaned against a ceramic TARDIS and his poor, beat up propeller hat was hanging off it. It took an act of will to not burst into tears right there. Every time I think about Dave, I feel heartsick at the loss to the fannish world.

When I first moved to Salt Lake, I was a hick kid from a dying, Midwestern, blue collar town who's entire economy was dependent on agriculture and one automobile factory. Salt Lake was the big city to me. My one anchor was fandom and gaming. I found out about this thing called a "science fiction convention" from a group of Trekkies who called themselves the U.S.S. Kelly. They had invaded the Waldenbooks by my high school. I sold the idea of this thing to my gaming club and we sold it to our academic sponsors. Thus, the Associated Gamers of West had a field trip to CONduit 2.

It was at CONduit 2 that I met Dave. He was this goofy, older guy who was absolutely welcoming to all. He must have immediately noticed how lost I and my friends were. This complete stranger took the time to show us around and (after we lost the others in the game room) introduce me around to people. I felt completely at ease with odd, older fellow. When he offered me a ride home, I knew that I was safe in that big Star Trek van of his. My mother was initially freaked out, but also judged him as a good person. I trust her instincts. She'd never been wrong on the quality of people.

That started years of me riding around to fan clubs all over the valley with Dave. There was a little group of us. Heidi, Karen and I were the SMOFettes to Dave's Poppa SMOF. I skipped the cool kid parties to go and hang out with Dave at Outer Gallifrey, the U.S.S. Kelly, Rebels Associated, and more. I'd give anything for those old, crazy days of 25 nerds of all ages trick-or-treating his neighborhood together.

Dave was a strong unifying force within fandom. All of the various fan groups and categories knew they had a fan in Dave. We desperately need such a person or group of people now. Poppa SMOF, how I miss you...

6 comments:

  1. *Sniff* We went to SO many parties at Dave's house. CONduit was born there. My kids adored his back yard when they were tiny. We have so many Dave memories. Thanks, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I had forgotten about that 'trick or treat' party.

    We really had some good times. Wish I could relive some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Dave from past CONduits, and I was surprised that I didn't see him this year. I had no idea that he had passed away :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. After Dave passed away, I struggled to try and put my feelings into words. At the time we did a memorial at CONduit and I wanted to put something in the program book or in the memorial book that was there that year but I felt that my words simply failed. I could never mange to get past the introductory paragraph of what I felt should be an Homeric poem dedicated to my friend. I sat alone one night at CONduit with Dave's memorial book in hand but I couldn't find the words. I have tried several times over the years to return to that poem and every time the words have failed to encompass my feelings and I was left with what seemed like merely a beginning.

    After this same party at Cheryl's house I decided that my feeble skills would likely never allow me to find sufficient words to pen the epic, but that perhaps merely the overture of the piece could convey enough...

    Preamble of my unwritten eulogy for David Lee Powell.

    I have known many good people in my lifetime, and I have been lucky enough to have known a few great people. David Lee Powell was a great man, and it was my privilege to have known him and call him my friend. My meager words can never fully express my feelings nor adequately depict the man that we have lost. I can but hope that I may be half the man that Dave was, and if I am in any way a good or kind or thoughtful man it is in large part a reflection of what I learned from watching him. I will always miss him terribly and think of him often. Fare thee well Papa SMOF you will be greatly missed, the universe is a diminished place without you in it.

    Brad Hawks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Arthur Hansen on FB: I saw that! Some of my last trick or treating I ever did was up there.

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Erin and Brad for reminding what a great, inclusive and kind man Dave was. I will always remember the "happy birthday"s he wished me, even from afar; and the way he made me feel like my imput was important.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete